A FABULOUSLY FRUGAL LIFE Headline Animator

‎"When I learn something, when I know something, when I find something. I always want to share it.
Because life is better when you share it." - Oprah

Monday, July 11, 2011

What can you make out of these mangoes for dinner?


Mango is my favorite fruit. I buy mine at Ranch 99 because they are cheaper than most places.
It comes in a box (not sold individually), and over time,  
I lose my appetite for it when eaten almost daily.
So if you are a ripe mango addict like me, but wish you can it eat differently, the good news is,
 instead of wasting mangoes by letting it rot, you can actually eat it in many many ways.

Tonight, I chose to make a Mango and Red Cabbage Slaw.


I shredded a head of red cabbage




Sliced and diced ripe mangoes



Added lime, cider vinegar, sugar, 
and with the help of my assistant, fresh cilantro leaves, my favorite.




Easy Mango and Red Cabbage Slaw



Ingredients

  • 1 head red cabbage, halved and very finely shredded (about 8 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large or 2 small ripe mangoes, peeled, fruit sliced from the pit, and diced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar

Directions

Place the cabbage in a large bowl and toss it with the salt, using your hands to press down firmly on the cabbage to encourage the cabbage to release some of its moisture and better absorb the salt. Transfer the cabbage to a colander and let it sit for 20 minutes to drain.
Using paper towels or a kitchen towel, squeeze as much liquid as possible from the cabbage and place it in a clean, large bowl. Toss with the mangoes, cilantro, lime juice, vinegar and sugar. Let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment