A FABULOUSLY FRUGAL LIFE Headline Animator

‎"When I learn something, when I know something, when I find something. I always want to share it.
Because life is better when you share it." - Oprah

Monday, November 14, 2011

Say Keen-wah, the mother grain

All these years, I  ate rice every single day. For breakfast, lunch and dinner lol. But I really needed to watch what I eat, modify my diet so that I will feel healthier. Rice is just too good to give up but too bad for the waistline!
Glad that I found Quinoa pronounced keen-wah, an ancient grain that was a staple of the ancient Incas. It is high in protein, supplies all nine essential amino acids, and for a hard core rice eater all my life, it tastes  good, a great alternative to rice, with a nutty flavor that I love! Also rich in fiber, magnesium, manganese, iron , copper and phosphorus. I switched from rice (not permanently!) to this golden grain because I notice that I do not get hungry as much. A 16- oz. bag lasts me a good 10 days. Cost: $3.99.


How I prepare it:

I ALWAYS RINSE AND DRAIN THOROUGHLY IN COLD WATER




Stove top:

Place 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water in pan, bring to boil.
Reduce to simmer, cover and cook until all water is absorbed (10-15 mins.)



When done, the grain appears soft and translucent.
Notice the germ ring along the outside of the grain? I love it!



Then I stir fry chicken breast in olive oil







Add onions, garlic, bell pepper,  chicken broth
Then when chicken is done...
I add fresh basil leaves


                                           
Salt and pepper to taste :)


      

Super easy. Super healthy. Super inexpensive.
Enjoy!

'




1 comment:

  1. OMGGGG THANK U SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!!i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member.

    and of course i will folback!:D also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^ ,please list me on twitter, so i will know u're my follower!! ;)

    i've just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that's what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^
    (u can add me on facebook and contact me at : cheeringwinda@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete